Island of the Turtle and Land of the Pirates

Tortuga island is located off the northern coast of Haiti and was first discovered by Europeans in 1492 when Christopher Columbus landed here and discovered the New World. After a long and bloody battle the natives lost and died. The island got its name from the shape since it looked like a turtles shell and Tortuga means turtle in Spanish. Then in the 17th century it became a Pirate Haven because of the natural harbor that exists on the southern side of the island. The pirates were able to dock there boats in the harbor and then they were able to control Tortuga with their own rules that they follow. This islands history is filled with bloodshed and fighting throughout the many years that it has been populated from the natives fighting to the Pirates fighting each other. Also, the island has been featured in many stories and video games as well such as the very popular “Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag”

Pirate map of Tortuga

Pirate map of Tortuga

Island featured in the video game

Island featured in the video game

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.